March 15, 2010

WHEN THE CAT'S AWAY THE MICE WILL PLAY


An English saying goes: "When the cat's away,the mice will play". It essentially tells us that when our supervisors (boss,tutor,police,etc..)are not within earshot (=a distancia que se nos pueda oír) we feel at ease (=cómodos) and tend to relax and do the things we would do if we were on our own (=alone).

That was exactly what happened to me last week; I was at the staff room fooling around (=bromeando) with Mr.Albalad and Mr.Palmis, we were laughing about a scene in the movie "The silence of the lambs",when suddenly Charo asked me to stop.She wanted to introduce us to the new pedagogical inspector.I could feel the earth moving beneath (=under) my feet, because I knew she would assess (=evaluar) my job!!! Luckily enough,Charo helped me feel less uncomfortable.The minute I saw the inspector there I thought: "When the cat's away, the mice will play"

2 comments:

Pablo (Mates) said...

I don't know how to say this in English, but "ay, pellejo".

Mister Tight said...

I don't even know what it means in Spanish!!!